Thursday, June 11, 2009

Carrying the Kirpan on Campus


Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

Yesterday while at work I was passing a campus police officer on a flight of stairs and decided to ask him about carrying the kirpan on campus. He gladly answered my question and actually seemed to be familiar with the kirpan, which surprised me (a lesson for my own judgmental habit). He explained that it should be okay as long as it's no longer than 3 inches (he said it shouldn't be longer than the blade he carries on his utility belt, which is about 3 inches. I can understand why a cop wouldn't want people carrying better weapons than they do :-). He also suggested I not conceal it - I should carry it in plain view. I should also take the time to explain to interested persons what it is and why I carry it, just to dispel any suspicion. And of course he suggested I not play with it or brandish it on campus. He added that campus police won't try to infringe on my beliefs or anything, they just want to keep the campus safe.

I understand the hesitation about letting just anyone carry a weapon on campus. Believe or not, our state legislature actually passed a bill allowing the concealed carry of firearms on campus amongst students, faculty and staff. I vehemently oppose this bill (and still do) because of the severe potential consequences when alcohol and guns are mixed, especially in Greek houses. We've also had a rash of hate crimes for the past four or five years - imagine how much worse those could be if students were carrying guns!

But yes, the question begs to be asked: what do I think of my own desire to keep 5Ks and thus carry a 3-inch blade on campus in plain view? How do I justify this action but oppose other kinds of weapons?

I don't really have an answer for that. But I will say this: I will gladly explain the purpose and history of the kirpan to anyone who inquires. I'll probably be accused of hypocrisy and I'll humbly accept that accusation until I come up with a good response. If anyone has a good response for me to share, please feel free to send it my way.

For the sake of understanding, however, people should know that the kirpan is only to be used by a Sikh as a very last resort, when all other peaceful options have been used and a life is at stake. But contrary to popular opinion, the kirpan is NOT symbolic - it is indeed a weapon, although a Sikh could go their whole life without ever using it. And any Sikh will tell you this. It's the same as when police officers say they've never fired their gun. Numerous Sikhs have been attacked here in the States following 9/11 because of a) they were mistaken for Muslims, and b) the attackers think it's okay to attack a Muslim, or anyone for that matter. I actually know of one Sikh who was killed from one of these attacks.

And yet, you still are hard-pressed to find a Sikh who has actually used their kirpan in self-defense (let alone as an offensive weapon).

Again, if anyone has some good explanation for me to use on why it's acceptable to carry a kirpan on campus but not a firearm, please send it my way. In the meantime, my kirpan is on its way in the mail and I'll start carrying pretty soon.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru ji ki Fateh

4 comments:

  1. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with your progress ^_^. As for the kirpan, two words are put together there. Kirpa and Aan. Kirpa means Mercy and Aan means Honor. A famous statement by Guru Gobind was, "Sheath the blade with honor and wield it with mercy." I'd like to add that if s sikh is planning on wearing a kirpan she/he best know how to use it. Just as you said, it IS a weapon. A key note I'd bring up is that over half a million women are raped in the US on a annual basis. Now, most of these rapists tend to be repeat offenders so if even one female had a kirpan she could have prevented not only the offence committed against her but many to follow.

    I'm glad the officer told you to wear it in plain sight. Cause i do the same and it encourages people to inquire about it. And like I always say, I only tell if you ask. The Sikh community in particular, that is before the occurrence of Harbajan Singh Yogi, didn't actively tell the world what a Sikh is. We were always there to help, and we've had our hand in many global affairs, but we never made people aware of us. I think the answer the officer gave you is the answer to showing people Sikhs do exist. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. (50)You can carry a weapon but I can not? You know people that have been attacked because they are Sikh? I know far more people that have been threatened & attacked because they are women. If you are so strongly opposed to me not carry a weapon because I am a woman, you should be opposed to you carrying a weapon because you are a man. Oh yes, you are in America and you claim "religion" & you expect to be "respected"? I don't respect you. You oppose me being able to defend myself because I'm a woman. You see, I can't run, I can't use a knife, but you oppose the bill allowing me carrying a gun to defend myself while you carry a knife. How are women treated in your religion? Subserviant to men? You must have a lot of anger and fear because the person that you knew was killed because they are muslim. Does that make you an emotionally unstable person? Have you been examined by a mental health professional? Is that why you want to be armed and oppose me being armed? As I said, I am physically unable to fight back if I were attacked by you, who claims to need self defense. You, who is physically fit, who is male therefore you won't get sexually assaulted just because of your gender. Who has the greater chance of being assualted, you for you religion, or a woman for robbery and/or sexual assault? You are a hypocrite. Leave the knife, your self defense weapon, at home as long as you believe I don't have the right to defend myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To both anonymous posters: thanks for your comments and for stopping by to read my blog. I appreciate it.

    Please read my newest post entitled "Response to Anonymous Commentator on carrying the kirpan."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous #2: "You, who is physically fit, who is male therefore you won't get sexually assaulted just because of your gender."

    I believe that you are free to have whatever beliefs you wish, but I must disagree with this statement. I can assure you that being physically fit and a male does not exempt you from being the victim of sexual assault. I personally know of one man who fits those same characteristics who was raped.

    ReplyDelete